Dave Wilson Nursery FORUMS - Fruit, Nut and Ornamental Trees  

Go Back   Dave Wilson Nursery FORUMS - Fruit, Nut and Ornamental Trees > Home Fruit & Nut Growing > Home Fruit Growing - General

Old 03-01-2010, 03:29 PM

Default Fairtime Peach Declining

This morning I noticed that my two year old Fairtime Peach has the bark separating from the trunk below the graft line. The top looks pretty good until you look closer and you realize the the buds are losing their plumpness. It is on Citation rootstock.

I'm guessing that the tree didn't like all the rain this season. My yard has clay soil, but the tree hole was heavily amended when the tree was planted. Until this year, the tree has thrived. No other trees nearby are suffering.

Anyone else care to speculate what happened?
Old 03-01-2010, 04:23 PM

Can you extract a soil core sample near the tree. If it smells like rotting vegetation, then you’re probably on the right track; the clay served as a bucket to hold all that organic matter you added underwater (from the heavier rains) and all that water had nowhere to go and just rotted everything, tree roots and all. If no rotten smell, then you still may have set up an anaerobic scenario and need to get the soil oxygenated. That’s my 2 cents.

I also have heavy clay soil and the only thing I mix into the soil is sand (after killing a few avocado trees with kindness – too much organics in the soil at planting). Now, all the organic amendments goes on as top dressing. In fact with the avocados, I’ve raised the bed as well. The stonefruits just get sand and topdressing. I put in an Goldkist apricot and Red Baron peach this past January, and both are doing well (with all the rain). My 5 year old Babcock peach is also doing great; all are on citation.

Last edited by naclh2o; 03-01-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:42 PM

Now maybe I am glad I did not go and purchase the Fairtime from Green Arrow in the SF Valley. I ended up just getting an August Pride. Most of my peaches are on the middle of my hill and higher, between that and adding some sand and a bit of organic material has done well for me with mulch on top. I worry also about my clay soil also, but mulch, sand and amendment make a difference over time.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:20 PM

The tree looks better today than it did yesterday.

Still, to continue to have a Fairtime, I grafted some of its budwood to a volunteer peach tree in my yard as well as to a very vigorous apricot.

I also cleaned up the questionable area what I could and sealed it with tree seal. I hope it will grow through the problem, but if it doesn't, I should still have a source of late peaches.

I'll watch and see what happens.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:01 PM

Default peach problem

J....of course this is a shot in the dark...but, examine the trunk carefully and make sure you have no borers (common). This is typifyed by shot holes.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitman60 View Post
J....of course this is a shot in the dark...but, examine the trunk carefully and make sure you have no borers (common). This is typifyed by shot holes.
Thanks for the suggestion. There is no evidence of borers. Roughly 1/4 of the diameter of the trunk bark below the graft has pulled away but is still attached at the top and at the bottom.

Whatever it is/was, I'm hoping that by cleaning it up and sealing it the tree will recover.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:25 AM

Hey Jim -- how is your tree doing now? I was worried that you sealed it up during the wet season, which would've been a mistake but at least peaches/nectarines aren't as prone as cherry to moisture.

A picture would also be helpful, since if it's peeling away AT the graft point is a common problem but you said "below"....
Old 04-24-2010, 09:50 AM

The tree seems to be doing fine. It has set a lot of fruit and is leafing out well.

I applied "tree seal" very liberally to the affected area. I don't think it will photograph well. Although the bark had pulled away from the trunk, it was still attached at both the top and bottom. I'm watching it closely.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:20 PM

Big Jim,

I am in Simi Valley and would love to get some Fairtime budwood from you this winter to graft to one of my Apricots and Peachs. I am also in the market for Burgundy pieces to help my early blooming Pluots to have something to pollinate with. My Emerald Beaut was ahead of everything else and I have zippo Pluots. Flavor King only had 4 fruit take off 500 flowers.

Glad to hear Fairtime is doing well, I know Jon's Nursery will not carry them, and I am only to add grafts of different stuff not more Fruit trees for a while.

Tags
citation, clay soil