Dave Wilson Nursery FORUMS - Fruit, Nut and Ornamental Trees  

Go Back   Dave Wilson Nursery FORUMS - Fruit, Nut and Ornamental Trees > Home Fruit & Nut Growing > Bush & Small Fruits

Old 02-21-2010, 11:09 AM

Default Raspberries in north Texas.

My edible garden seems to have a theme, anything worth doing is worth overdoing!

I'm a bit of a nut, I planted four different raspberries in my back yard along a fence as sort of a hedge row. I lost a Lantham Red, a Dominion Red, another raspberry with thorns, and the only surviving one of the initial lot is a Heritage. The site they were planted gets full sun and afternoon shade. The biggest problem with the site seems to be drainage, and yet none ever really showed signs of struggling with that, though I am pondering trying to dig a minor drainage trench along the fence to ease the water away from the plants. Is a 30 foot trench worth it? How deep would it need to be?

Now, what I'm pretty sure I lost the berry plants to was actually a fungal infection, probably powdery mildew. I've had to treat for that before so I guess it just got out of control. My questions are pretty simple, are there any particular raspberry plants that do well in north Texas besides Heritage? My grandfather told me to just replace with all Heritage cultivars, but I like variety. He's probably right.

The other question is does anyone know a good powdery mildew treatment that is organic, but not a basic pH since we have alkali soil? My usual treatment on the blueberries especially is to spray with a dilution of baking soda in water. The blueberries didn't fair well in the ground and I wound up putting them two to a pot in large pots and giving them regular monthly treatments of used coffee grounds to make them happy. I don't think I can do this with the raspberries, much as I love them so I need to keep the pH close to neutral as I can while also trying to keep them happy.

The overall objective is to grow a hedge along the fence full of blackberries, raspberries, and elderberries to make into jams and preserves. It's a long span and the spacing is intended to be two to three feet between plants with regular pruning. I make lots of jam every year and it would be better if I could grow the fruits for it myself. Besides, the youngest and I just love to eat fresh berries.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:08 PM
New Registered User

Default rasberries in texas

I will be curious to see how the new planting goes. I live just north of OKC with weather alot like yours. I am also planting some different varieties this year. I'm trying 3 heritage 5 anne and 3 lauren. You'll notice i said trying not growing. That remains to be seen.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:37 PM

Well, I replanted mostly with Heritage and found that one that I thought had been lost grew back from the roots. I did dig a drainage ditch to help channel the water out away from them when it rains. So far so good, but it has been fairly wet this spring.

The blackberries are further up on the little hill and just blooming right now. This is their second year in the soil and the first year in this particular spot. It's more protected from the kids and the mowers.

The elderberry I can say hasn't given me a single bit of trouble yet. I'm told it spreads a lot if you let it so I gave it a big empty space to stretch out in. I must say that it is probably doing the best of all the berry brambles at this point.

The grapes are growing well too. All three varieties of grapes have put out new leaves and started the crawl up the trellises. I have concord, flame seedless, and gwertztramainer all growing in roughly the same area as the berry brambles. I even just spotted a cluster starting up on the flame grapes today. So, there is hope despite our icky weather and soil