Dave Wilson Nursery FORUMS - Fruit, Nut and Ornamental Trees  

Go Back   Dave Wilson Nursery FORUMS - Fruit, Nut and Ornamental Trees > Home Fruit & Nut Growing > Fruit Tree Varieties

Old 01-22-2010, 02:46 PM

Default Weeping Santa Rosa Plum: how do I prune?

Hi everyone,

I'm about to plant my lovely new, bare-root Weeping Santa Rosa Plum tree in my small backyard, and I need some help in deciding how to prune it. The DW site recommends cutting a fruit tree off at knee-height after planting it, to keep it small (about 20 inches high in my case). My question is: does this rule apply to the Weeping Santa Rosa? Or perhaps I should make an exception since this tree will stay small naturally (8-10 ft), plus I think it's going to throw out side branches that drop to the ground rather than reaching for the sky the way most fruit trees do.

Just to clarify: this tree currently already measures 7 1/2 feet high (quite a surprise when I picked it up), with one side branch at about 5 feet up and just a few side branches above 7 feet. I'm really going to have to steel myself to chop off the upper 5 feet of it, so I wanted to make sure it was the right thing to do first.

Thanks for any and all help!
Old 01-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Dave Wilson Nursery

You're right - different pruning strategy for Weeping Santa Rosa plum. Leave the trunk alone. The side limbs could be cut back by 2/3 for higher branching. Vigorous upright shoots should be removed whenever they appear.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:21 AM

Craig, thanks so much for your response! I'll leave the trunk unpruned when I plant it. Thanks!